Help with money

Our Money Advice team can help you to deal with any money problems that you may be having, offering information and advice to help you make the most of your money; as well as support with paying your rent.

This includes budgeting advice for paying your rent and prioritising debt, as well as support to understand your benefits situation and what you may be entitled to; and lots more! Please contact us.

If you’d like information about how to pay your rent, please click here.


Our Universal Credit campaign mascot Bob is here to help you get ready for Universal Credit.

When BOB heard his benefits were changing to become a single monthly Universal Credit payment, he got ready to Bank, go Online and Budget so that he could claim.


Universal Credit can only be paid into a bank account. Set one up or use the one you already have.

This Money Advice Service information explains what you need to do to set one up.

For further help, please Contact Us.


All claims are managed online, so you need to know where you can access the internet and you need the skills to go online.

Digital Communities Wales can tell you where you can find the nearest public computer.

Our Money Advisors can also signpost you to help with using computers and the internet. Please Contact Us.


You need to plan your budget. Universal Credit is paid monthly rather than weekly or fortnightly. The Money Advice Service has a Money Manager tool to help you start budgeting.

What else did BOB do?

  • He made an email address
  • He registered on www.GOV.UK/VERIFY
  • He started saving a couple of pounds each week so he had money before his first UC payment (it takes at least five or six weeks for your first payment to arrive after you make your claim)

Universal Credit is a benefit for people in or out of work

People making a new claim for benefit will be expected to claim Universal Credit.

It’s different because:

  • You will only get one monthly payment for your household
  • Universal Credit will be paid into your bank account
  • If you’re entitled to help with your rent this will be included in the monthly payment and you will have to pay the rent to United Welsh yourself
  • You will have to apply for and manage your Universal Credit online
  • You will still need to claim some benefits separately, like Council Tax Reduction and Personal Independence Payment.

Universal Credit is replacing the benefits below:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Employment Support Allowance (income related)
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)

A change in circumstances; here’s what could prompt a change:

  • Found fit for work so ESA stops
  • Relationship starts or ends
  • Bereavement
  • Change in working hours
  • Loss of job
  • Becoming a carer
  • Youngest child turns five
  • Going back to work after sickness
  • New claim for Housing Benefit
  • Moving from one Local Authority to another
  • Change to jobseekers allowance and income support due to birth of a child

Learn how to make a claim for Universal Credit here

To make your claim process as quick and easy as possible, make sure you’ve got all the following information:

  • Your National Insurance number and your partner’s National Insurance number
  • Your postcode
  • Your email address (you can’t claim without one!)
  • Your phone number (landline or mobile)
  • United Welsh’s address: United Welsh, 13 Beddau Way, Caerphilly, CF83 2AX
  • Your rent (contact us if you’re not sure of the correct amount)
  • Your tenancy start date
  • Details of any children / relatives / other people who live with you, including their name, date of birth, relationship to you and income
  • Details of any savings
  • Details of any other money you receive
  • The name and address of your bank, your account number and sort code

This helpful tool, developed by Hyde Housing, will guide you through the process and help you get the financial support you’re entitled to. Find it here.

Home Contents InsuranceMy Home Contents Insurance logo.

Why do I need it?

United Welsh insures its buildings in case of fire, flood or serious damage, but you may not be aware that we do not insure your personal contents/belongings as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you United Welsh has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Royal & Sun Alliance Ltd who provide the National Housing Federation’s My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

How do I get further information?

  • Ask your Neighbourhood Officer for an application pack.
  • Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288

Alternatively, please visit the for more information or to request a call back. There are other home contents insurance schemes available and you can compare costs on price comparison websites.

Mark Jones - Sustainability Officer
Lynn Gallery - Money Advisor
Lesley Bevan - Money Advisor
Melanie Arnold, Rent Officer (Older Persons and Supported Housing)
Sascha Williams - Money Advice Team Leader
Debra Rosser - Money Advisor
Kate Jones - Sustainability Officer
Julie Morris - Rent Officer
Karen Thomas - Income & Money Advice Manager
Claire Rodgers - Rent Officer
Karen Llewellyn - Rent Officer
Clive James - Rent Officer
Simone Dasilva - Money Advisor
Daniel Bevan - Service Charge Finance Officer
Nyree Littlewood - Money Advisor
Sam Wangiel - Income Team Leader
Alison Hill - Income Assistant
Laura Price - Rent Officer
Yvonne Davies - Rent Team Leader
Linda Jones - Income Assistant
Libby Tucker - Money Advisor
Alex Fisher - Service Charge Lead
Liam Bouse - Rent Officer